Research Activities & New Developments
- Silent infract transfusion trial (SITT)- This is a multi-centred international study funded by the NIH-USA, it started 2004 and would run till 2012.
- Sickle Asthmas Cohort study (SAC) which continues till 2011, but has closed recruitment- NIH-USA funded.
- Transfusion alternatives perioperatively in sickle cell disease (TAPS), this is funded by the national Blood Service and MRC, recruitment is ongoing.
- ENTRUST- Paediatric Registry for children ≤6 years on Exjade(ICL670) iron chelation therapy, follow is 5 year long, it is a commercially funded trial.
- GFR (Glomerular filtration Rate) studies in the assessment of early indicators of renal disorders in SCD, recruitment is ongoing.
- Transcranial Doppler Scanning Studies in Sickle Cell Disease- Educational and Clinical study in sickle cell disease.
- There are a number of intramural funded studies including alpha thalassaemia studies and DNA studies in collaboration with King's College Hospital.
©Guy's and St Thomas Sickle Cell & Thalassaemia